Today is again all about socks! For dolls, I think I am a sockaholic 😉
These socks fit Obitsu 48 (and 40) and should be okay for BJD with similar foot measurements (6cm length/2.2 cm width)
The basic principle is the same as with the socks for Ellowyne. The heel is a short row heel using shadow wraps.
set of DPN 2.5 mm
fingering weight yarn (4-ply, if you try it with 3ply and it works, please let me know 😉 )
- Cast on 24 stitches and divide onto 4 DPN (you can divide also onto three DPN (8 per needle), then divide onto four DPN for heel/foot). We start from the cuff.
- rounds 1-6: k1tbl p1 ribbing
- rounds 7-?: knit to desired length
(If you have never knitted a heel with short rows, it might help to watch a video on youtube, or read it in detail in some sock pattern 😉 I will try my best to explain, but it is sometimes hard to understand if you do not see the working)
- knit 12 stitches. This is half of you stitchcount and these will be your heel stitches.
The heel will be worked mostly in short ROWS.
- Row 1: Turn your work for working a back row. Yarn over (yarn front) with your right hand needle, hold that tight and slip the first stitch from your left hand needle purlwise. Purl to end of row.
- Row 2: Turn to work front side row (knit). Yarn over (yarn front) with your right hand needle, hold that tight and slip the first stitch from your left hand needle purlwise. Knit to last stitch (DO NOT KNIT THE DOUBLED STITCH AT THE BEGINNING, but turn again before that st.)
- Repeat these rows until you have 4 doubled st. on each side and 4 between them.
The last doubled stitch is formed in a front side row. Then knit to end of needle. Knit the doubled st. tightly to avoid holes.
- You have finished the first half of the heel. Now knit needles No2 and No3 (6 stitches each).
- Knit the 4 doubled st on your heel needle (“heel edge”). Then the second half of the heel begins.
- Knit 4 st (“heel middle”)
- ROW 1 (wrong side row): Put your working yarn in front of your right hand needle and hold it a bit while slipping the first stitch purlwise. Pull tight and it will appear as a doubled stitch. Purl the next three (3) stitches tightly (1 doubled st+3=4 st of “heel middle). TURN.
- ROW 2 (right side row): As row 1, but knit and work to the doubled st., knit doubled st., Knit one more st.TURN.
- ROW 3 (wrong side row): As row 1, purl to doubled st., purl doubled st., purl one more st. TURN.
- Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you reach the ends of the heel needle. Last doubled st. is worked in a right side row. Then continue knitting in the round. Knit the doubled st. tightly.
- Knit FOOT for 12 rounds (10 will work in a pinch if your yarn runs out, but might be very tight)
- Now decrease for TOE/finishing. The decrease is always at the outside of the sock, never in the middle. Knit as following in every row:
needle 1 (sole): k1, slip 1 purlwise, k1, slip slipped st over knit st.
needle 2 (sole): Knit to last 3 st., k2tog, k1
needle 3 (topside): k1, slip 1 purlwise, k1, slip slipped st over knit st.
needle 4 (topside): Knit to last 3 st., k2tog, k1
- When you have only 2 st left on every needle (8 st in total), cut yarn leaving a tail, thread through remaining stitches and pull tight.
- Weave in ends.